I just wanted to talk a little bit about self love.
It’s a pretty hot topic right now.
But what does it mean?
Why is it important?
Have you ever heard the saying “you can’t pour from an empty cup”?
Well that’s essentially the premise. Filling yourself up with love, joy, contentment etc so you have the energy to pour into others.
Many of us have grown up thinking that we can’t be selfish, that we shouldn’t be putting ourselves before others. It’s not about giving to yourself, and taking from others. It’s about being the best possible person you can be, in your happiest and healthiest frame of mind, maintaining your boundaries and holding your own energetic space SO that you are able to give the most to others.
“I’m a parent” I hear you say, “I don’t have time”… Well, make time.
That sounds harsh I know, but even taking time to have a bath, meditate, go for a walk, do your nails, play football with friends, whatever it is that lights you up, that sparks YOUR joy, you will return to your children or loved ones, as a breath of fresh air.
It doesn’t have to be that you spend a lot of money, because it’s not about pacifying yourself with things.
It’s about giving yourself those little moments, those experiences, that make you feel renewed, restored, cared for, even if its buying yourself a bunch of flowers, or reading a book.
Do it for yourself.
It will have a profound effect on your energy, the more you can find these little pockets of time, appreciation, the better you will feel. You will gain patience… understanding.
We all make excuses for not MAKING time for the little things that bring us joy.
Instead of saying ‘I don’t have time” start to replace it with, “it’s not a priority” and see how that feels.
Telling yourself that you aren’t a priority every day doesn’t feel good.
It doesn’t aid to your well being.
So, change your story.
Even if it feels small at first, just try carving out just 15 minutes a day for you.
Then build on it.
Don’t feel guilty. Ever.
Because whatever your role in life, whatever your purpose, you will do it better, ten fold, if your cup is full.
No excuses. We can all make excuses. But don’t be that person.
The journey to the person you want to be, starts with you stripping it back and building on yourself. Shining light into your darkness. Accepting that, we are not perfect as humans, but we are all trying to do our best.
So be your best self.
Put your best foot forward.
Some of my personal favourite self love activities are:
- Reading, usually personal growth/development books. Books on spirituality, life after death, unity and religion for a slightly heavier read.
- Meditation. Even if it’s just sitting in silence for 10 minutes in a day. THOSE MINUTES COUNT.
- Walking in nature. Whether it’s just stepping out for fresh air, or taking time to do a hike. Just getting out into nature.
- Burning incense and candles. Creating an environment for relaxation is sometimes all that is called for. Even if you are doing work in the evening, make your environment feel nurturing.
- Journalling. Taking 15 minutes to write out how i am feeling, or thoughts that pop into my head, creates space for focus.
- Taking an Epsom Salt bath. Usually surrounded by candles and calming music. Always balances my energy.
- Buying myself flowers once every two weeks so you have something beautiful to make you smile and remind yourself of the care you are investing into yourself.
- Singing along to my favourite playlist at the top of my lungs on a car journey, acting out every lyric to the song as if I was in the music video.
- Towel-time-down-time. Sitting in a towel after the shower, doing absolutely sweet F-A.
- Dancing around my bedroom/the house like nobody’s watching (again, pretending to be in a music video, because, why not?!)
I hope you enjoyed reading today’s post, and have maybe picked up some tips on practising self love, if you missed our last post simply click here to go and have a look – I was finishing up my Road Trip saga!
Be sure to follow us on Instagram to keep up to date with all of our latest adventures too!
Have a great day!
(P.S. If you would like to take a free look at the insides of the Digital Business System that we use, and always have used, then click here!)